UBL Cell, Eastern University, Sri Lanka
University Business Linkages (UBL) Cell was initiated in Eastern University, Sri Lanka with collaboration of GIZ Small and Medium Enterprises (SME) Development Programme with the approval of the University Grant Commission of Sri Lanka. The initiative was commenced with ‘Information Session’ that was especially oriented to Deans and Registrar of the University. Multi-Tech Solutions (Pvt) Ltd. acted as the logistic facilitator for this initiatives.
The main role of UBL cell, which is to be formally established in the University, will coordinate and act as the interface with private sector of Eastern Province. Business Facilitation and support, analysis, strategy design, organization, documentation, planning and monitoring of UBL portfolio, were identified as the future responsibilities.
Becoming the Centre of Excellence for University-Business Linkages in the region.
- Encourage invention and innovation at the University and the society.
- Transfer knowledge, skills and results of university research to the public by bringing the university and the business community together in a relationship of mutual advantage.
- Offer a set of needs-oriented UBL projects in order to strengthen local and regional business competitiveness and economic development.
- Developing practice and business oriented skills in students
- Developing and providing needs-oriented initiatives to regional MSMEs
- Organising and offering trainings and consultancy services for regional MSMEs
- Creating a platform for innovation, promoting formal and informal communication and mutual exchange of information between University and all sectors.
- Promoting alliances between private sector and other key players (regional chambers, big companies, diaspora, ministries, donors)
- Promoting research cooperation among private and public companies and entities and the university
- Generating income to assure the financial viability of the UBL Cell.
A UBL director with the support of an assistant will coordinate the UBL Cell. Direct contacts (focal points) for the UBL director at the faculty level are UBL faculty coordinators. 1-2 selected UBL team members support the UBL faculty coordinators. A UBL Steering Committee is advising and supervising the work of the UBL Cell.